1 1/3 cups butter, softened and divided
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
6 large eggs
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
English Toffee bars
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 3 (9inch) round cake pans with cooking spray with flour (or grease and flour).
2. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup butter, sugar, and dark brown sugar at medium speed with electric mixer til creamy. Add vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Spoon batter into pans.
4. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until wooden toothpick comes out clean. (I had to bake mine nearly 30 minutes). Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks. When cool, level cakes off with serrated knife, if needed.
5. In a small saucepan, combine light brown sugar, evaporated milk, and remaining 1/3 cup butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring til sugar dissolves. Cook without stirring til candy thermometer registers 238 degrees.
6. Transfer caramel mixture to a heat resistant bowl and beat with mixer for 2-3 minutes until mixture thickens slightly and is ready to spread.
7. Working quickly, spread caramel mixture on 2 layers and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set. (I put each layer on a separate plate).
8. To assemble, place one caramel covered layer on a cake plate. Spread a thin layer of Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting over caramel. Place another caramel covered layer and spread a thin layer of frosting. Top with plain layer. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish with chopped English Toffee bars.
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup + 2 tblspns butter, softened and divided
1 (8 ounce) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
5 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream, and 2 tblspns butter over medium heat. Cook 3-4 minutes til sugar dissolved. Cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining butter til smooth. Add brown sugar mixture and vanilla extract, beating to combine well. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar til smooth.